The next Jane Austen Festival Australia will be held centrally at the Baptist Church in Kingston and at the Albert Hall in Canberra from 12-15 April 2018. In 2018 the theme is “The Garden”. Might we also encourage you to apply asap with your ideas – as soon as we have enough brilliant ideas to put a program together so it all starts happening! We don’t have a closing date but if you leave it too late someone may have already suggested your idea.
We are seeking expressions of interest from those interested in
- performing (music/song/theatre),
- joining the musicians on stage,
- presenting a talk on an interesting and relevant subject,
- teaching a handcraft, game or skill from the particular period, or
- organising & running a Thursday night Games night for us (using our period games and introducing period card games)
- or something entirely new!
Thursday: pre-festival 1/2 – 1 day classes
Friday: Georgian Theme (18th Century)
Saturday: Jane Austen Napoleonic Theme (early 19th Century)
Sunday: Early Victorian Theme (1830+)
Presenters who receive an invitation to be part of the 2018 program will receive one of the following offers:
- Present 2 x 1.5 hr daytime workshops & 15 minute evening performance on stage: Complimentary Season Tickets (limited)
- Present a 1-day pre-festival workshop: Complimentary Season Ticket
- Present 2 x 1.5 hr workshop : 50% Discount Season Ticket or Complimentary Day Ticket
- Present a 30 minute talk, demonstration or skill to general public: 25% Discount Season Ticket or 50% Discount Day Ticket
- And as always, we are open to negotiation if you wish to do something new. Do discuss possibilities with us.
Our overall theme for 2018 is “The Garden” so we can bring in cordials, preserving, cosmetics manufacture, natural perfume making, historic garden plans and plantings, making parasols, mitts, outdoor table settings, tablecloths and napkins with whitework and more. How about dorset buttons, stays, white caps or deaths head buttons? Crewel Work embroidery pockets?
Because of space issues we will only be using sewing machines on Thursday at the Albert Hall.
If you are scheduled for a presentation in the kitchen or upstairs room we can supply a projector. We are hoping to find a screen for use for morning & afternoon tea talks.
- A laptop with projector will be available.
- Email your presentation file to firstname.lastname@example.org in the original file format, as well as in a PDF format (File > Save as > Save as PDF), so that we can check it to ensure that it works with our system and provide you with a backup copy in case something goes wrong.
- Bring a copy of your presentation on a USB in the two formats.
- Name your files with your surname and the day and time of your presentation (e.g. SMITH_Friday_9am.ppt)
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
TO APPLY TO BE A 2018 JAFA 2018 PRESENTER
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
Description of your Act
Website and/or Blog
Which day/theme you prefer: Georgian Theme (18th Century) | Jane Austen Napoleonic Theme (early 19th Century) | Early Victorian Theme (1830+)
Names of who is involved
Photograph for the Program & Website (face/s)
Biography for Program (max. 50 words)
All presenters are required to register for a festival ticket so that you receive important updates. If you apply to be a presenter but are not invited to be part of the 2018 program we will invite you to purchase a season ticket at the original earlybird prices. We hope you can join us.